I stare at my face, my figure, my eyes...
And dare not to smile, for I believe all the lies :
That I’m ugly and weak, unkind, undeserving,
I merit no love, and I feel I am worth nothing.
These lies that belittle not just what I see,
Attack on the inside, hidden part of me.
I cover my face and let out the tears, and slowly give in to my very worst fears.
I want to escape, give up and give in
It just is too easy to let that voice win.
So, I do. I retreat. I create my own world
Where the voice of my adversary is the only one heard.
Yet I know I’m not happy- my Sunshine depleted,
Leaving me feeling abjectly defeated...
I desperately reach and cry out for aid.
I yearn for connection, but inside I’m afraid.
I fear it’s all true... that I really am forgotten,
Alone in this world, unloved...unforgiven.
Adversity screams, pushing me down,
“Grieve all your losses, no hope can be found.”
“Give up your worth, you deserve nothing more,”
And on and on the lies cut to my core.
Then all of a sudden as I fall to my knees
With tears in my eyes, encumbered with grief,
I remember a truth I’ve learned in my life,
Fear only has power if I believe all the lies.
Believing in truth breaks anxiety’s grasp
And dissipates fear of my future or past.
If I choose to accept my journey, my life,
That I’m right where I’m at - and that is alright;
If I choose to surrender and choose to let go
Of all of the things I want to control,
Instead choosing Christ, accepting His will,
Believing his timing will all things fulfill,
Then my spiraling down starts spiraling up,
As I choose to patiently drink from this cup.
If I stop asking “why” and start asking “How”,
Then I know I will find joy in the “now”.
My journey, though messy, is what it should be,
And I know in my heart that it’s just what I need.
My journey, though trying and painful and steep,
Is not quite so hard with Christ next to me.
My journey is slow, soul stretching and steep,
And yet - it is special and sacred to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment