18 July 2011

The Book that Changes My Life

Today I read a book.

No, no, it's not what you think.

It wasn't a fairytale or a science-fiction novel dominated by some supremely cliche love story.

...not that those are bad :)

actually, you're probably not thinking that. You're probably thinking, "Oh. My. Goodness. She's writing about her religion. again." (roll of eyeballs.)


....yes.



YES. I am.


oh well.


Today I read about Alma and Amulek in Ammonihah. They taught some of the most beautiful sermons I have ever heard. Everything about hope, the Saviour - who they knew would come, and that through faith and repentance, you can have eternal life. There is wonderful counsel about humbling yourself . . . something I wish I was better at. They even caution us saying that by wresting the scriptures, we are causing ourselves to become weaker.

And some people didn't believe them. They hated them.

Some people laughed at them, then bound them - with strong cords, and led them to the chief judge who repeatedly slapped them and cursed them for the messages they carried.

Then, the chief judged and his wicked men took the women and children who believed Alma and Amulek's message and cast them into a fire . I could hardly keep my voice calm as I read aloud about these women and children who are martyrs. And they did not back down. All they had done was believe and try to follow God.

And they were killed.

I started to cry.


"And Amulek said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore, let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames."
"But Alma said unto him: the Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord recieveth them up to himself in glory."

He would have saved them. But he couldn't. He couldn't save them. Can you imagine the pain you would feel, watching someone die for what they believe in? And it wasn't like they'd believed the gospel for their whole lives. This was only a couple days after they'd heard it, if even that.

and they were willing to die. that's how much they trusted in God.


Now, I know that this is a sad post. But the truth is, for the first time in a long time, I understand now. I understand that our ways are not His ways. I understand that sometimes God permits suffering and sadness. and heartache. and pain.

but do you know what?


That doesn't mean God doesn't love you.

That's what Satan wants you to think. He is the father of all lies, and this seems to be one of the greatest and most common ones I hear:

What kind of a person would allow you to suffer and cry at night? He's not your friend. He can't love you because he watches you suffer like this.


Satan couldn't be more wrong.
Looking back, I see more benefits than losses from the trials in my life. I see myself as someone who has become stronger and I know it's the same for you, if you just take a moment to look. :)


Then, after a series of events, Alma and Amulek were able to leave this city. But Amulek, "having forsaken all his gold, and silver, and precious things, which were in the land of Ammonihah, for the word of God, he being rejected by those who were once his friends and also by his father and his kindred;
Therefore, after Alma having established the church at Sidom...
Took Amulek and came over to the land of Zarahemla, and took him to his own house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord."

And through all our trials, through all of everything hard in life, God blesses us with friends. And when maybe they aren't around, One always is. Always.

And I know I write about this a lot, but I just can't help it.

It's not that I seek to boast -  in fact, that thought never crossed my mind.

I find myself more like Nephi and many other of the Book of Mormon prophets who say that they are weak in writing and speech. I have never been blessed with that talent of saying cute and witty remarks or posting cute blog stuff :) when I do speak, words tumble out of my mouth as if I'd just opened the flood gates of a cumulonimbus cloud and all the little water molecules are bumping into each other and then they splat! get plastered onto the surface of the earth.

yep, that'd be my number one weakness. I am a girl " Nephi."

But you see, this Book can change my life there too.

"If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27 (emphasis added)

note: Grace is the enabling power of Christ to make you more than what you are.


So I leave you with those thoughts because they have been much of my thoughts of late.


And I just heard thunder which means we're in for a storm!!!


Which also means that there will be puddles. lots and lots of puddles.


thanks for listening. These posts seem to be more for me than whoever reads them. Sometimes, that's when answers and peace come to me -  when I take the time to sort it out.


with love and hope,

Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment